Sunday, January 8, 2012

PEREGRINATION


PEREGRINATION 

Mauled by the infidel lions of savage hope;
my voice looking for its wings in the ashes of heroic doves
who were immolated like love letters
in my chronic cremation of the world that scorned me like a seed
and ploughed with a razorblade, I sowed shadows on the moon
and reaped a harvest of swords
to feed the open mouths of my wounds, a bitter, burnt bread
that tasted of my own embattled blood. Well beyond
the luckier stars of tamer constellations
I bent space into an igneous foundry of light
and poured myself into my work like a weapon
that would claim its own dark domain from the night
and defend the coronation of my indefensible solitude to the death.
Eventually the madmen and the clowns
and the lost pariahs who drank from tainted grails,
and those who were consumed without enlightenment
at the gates of other flames not strong enough
to grant their petitions of annihilation, and the women
who offered the vines and olives of peace with their bodies
but whose eyes were declarations of war,
and those who tilled their own dead planets
and the freaks and the criminals and the refugees and exiles,
and the dwarfs of envy with their sunspots and rashs
came to seek asylum on the uncertain slopes
of my tormented eruptions. And these were the days
when islands boiled in the sea, days
that stiffened like dogs in their death throes
swamped by the firestorms that tempered their hideous nights
under the eyelids of the tides that flanked the bay,
as skin by skin, I grew the pearl of the earth
out of the crude womb of the oyster slagged by the wave,
out of the black radiance of a ferocious heart
crushed into dark-eyed wine. I lived
as I could among the wrack of battered coasts,
among dismembered, used up things, smashed crabs,
and their fallen coats-of-arms, dead starfish
and spiny sea-urchins disgorged like the garbage of heaven,
and the deranged cryptic of delicate bones
that could only guess at what they’d once articulated,
the flayed pillars of amputated trees and huge molars
of tormented roots twisted by sun and salt, I lived
and prospered as I could
in an unsalvagable nation of the forsaken and marooned,
wholly at home around the driftwood fires
of the derelicts and castaways
who alone had died enough
to hear the oceanic lament that raved like a widow
in the fathomless depths of the bells
I abandoned like poems. But the sea is an obvious garden
that weeds itself
and eventually it uprooted me.
I followed a westerly east across the mountains.
Now I listen to the small thunder of wild apples in a night squall
dragging its nets of rain over a thousand shattered lakes
and the shipwrecks have turned into dilapidated barns,
and the shells of the hermit crabs
are the empty husks of the milkweed pods
that have pulled the rip-cords on a blizzard of angelic parachutes
and the planets still cruise
the same upscale configurations of the stars
casing their b. and e.’s for dogs and burglar alarms,
and in every leaf I see a wave, an ocean in the trees,
and the wind like the tide
still shows life’s asperities the way to my threshold,
but somehow over forty years and thousands of miles,
the poems have changed:
they’re no longer bells, though, bow into the storm,
I still turn the wheel loose
to counter the gales of the rages and sorrows
that overtake me; they’re prophetic lighthouses
on the promontories of hell
and despite the fact I know the dangers
of those dark waters well, and once abandoned them,
on the blackest of nights they’re still the only lights
that don’t forsake me.

PATRICK WHITE

No comments: