Sunday, June 17, 2012

LITTLE ENEMY, YOU'RE A MAGGOT TOO EARLY TO RUNT MY BLOOD


LITTLE ENEMY, YOU’RE A MAGGOT TOO EARLY TO RUNT MY BLOOD

Little enemy, you’re a maggot too early to runt my blood.
You can eat my heart when I’m dead
but the hour’s still too dangerous for you to raise your head.
False lover, I’ve planted razors and roses of lipstick
in the mirror where you used to cut the throats of the doves
for not being swans, like those wrists you’d unlatch like gates
that were always somehow shutting you out, never keeping you in.
And the poppies are thriving everywhere like ambulances
emulating your urgency like a requiem at a wedding.
Go in peace, with a crown of deadly nightshade,
to a quiet, damp place where your bruises are silent,
and you’ve settled your score with the world like a bone
by making it atone for the fact that you were ever born.

And you, my teacher, my cornerstone, my fountain, my door,
thank you for doing the best you could with what
you had to work with like a lighthouse in a storm
swinging its sword at the lightning like the hands of the clock
it was duelling with in its sleep. I’ve worked out
an uneasy truce with the gods in this country of one
I’ve surrendered to like a starmap with no boundary stones.
I burned my books, and learned to fly by the seat of my pants.
And every step I take backwards to cover my tracks
I consider a signal advance into my expansive maturity.
Now I hang out with the dead to learn about living.

And you, my children, who have forgotten how to know me,
how far from the tree you travelled to bloom.
I am in you like a space you can’t disown
and time will bring you, scar by scar, back to me
like an ocean and an atmosphere back to the moon
where the clarity of the stars will cauterize the wound
that teaches us all how to forgive our own humanity
like a death sentence that slips a loveletter through the bars.
I still delight in the dragons of my dark energy
that wheel like circumpolar constellations
and red-tailed hawks on the thermals of my blood
but I expand and retract my claws more like
phases of the moon now, than the thorns of a rose with scales.
When there’s a chance I might penumbrally eclipse the light
with the shadows of my vans, I lower them like black sails
whenever I’m close enough to shore to bury the dead in me.

I can do no more. I kick stones down the road like a glacier.
I roam like a rogue planet from star to star
to see if I can thrive in the light creatively
without turning my back on my homelessness.
I teach hitch hikers how to paint on the move,
and tour with a sacred circus of heartbroken clowns
just to keep my voice in shape when I’m called upon
to let these mercurial sibilants of light speak through me
like a grammar of fireflies addressing the sages of chaos.
I’ve buried the rage of my father who terrorized my childhood
like an urn of demons so deeply inside of me
even the dogs can’t dig it up at the full moon
when I burn another scarecrow dressed up in his clothes
and he weeps like fire extinguished in the roots
of a harvest he never sowed. Though I keep company
with one who comes and goes like an ice age,
a translucent diamond seer of the condemned
so coldly intelligent its clarities burn without smoke,
I consult like a consigliere who knows both heaven and hell
and tempers my love of the earth, when I forget
its hoofs and horns, by slashing at the absurdity
of my longing not to desecrate the table I eat at
by neglecting the protocols of gratitude for what I’ve taken.

I’ve given back everything that was within my reach.
All those thoughts, all those feelings, no longer
my personal possessions. Not readiness, not ripeness
my all, but inspiration the way I rise to the unattainable
through no means of my own, and the way I fall
not a tragic flaw, merely moonset among words,
the way space bends light into a gravitational eye
that sees things in a different way than I do
though we both agree, firefly or dragon, they’re all true.
Outside or inside, there’s no window between them,
no wave the water in the lake sucuumbs to.
No better view at zenith than in the nadir of life.
Seeing not two has a better attitude than one.
That my solitude has no identity to speak of
but it’s never empty, and it’s always charged
with the significance of love that doesn’t try to cram
its own impersonality into a locket of the heart
by prying it open before it’s ready to bloom.

And the rest I leave to the crazy wisdom of the muse
should she ever decide to take the form
of a woman again to sweeten the fruits of the abyss
I lay on the stairs of her temple like the gift of a gift
so inconceivably unsayable she never needs to ask
to know what it is.

PATRICK WHITE

No comments: