Saturday, June 16, 2012

AND IT'S FUNNY HOW


AND IT’S FUNNY HOW

And it’s funny how we carry each other
within ourselves like mingled waters
that taste of the moon,
that taste of bruised orchids
in the shadow of all those glass greenhouses,
Eden in a Mason jar,
that learned to throw stones,
and mysteriously engaging
that we go on creating each other as we have
forever inseparably each on his own
alone together with everyone
wondering why we exist
to know one day we won’t.

Gates and roads and miles and whispers away
and a longing that can only be measured
in the lightyears of a star
and all the eras, all the trances of time
of passion and extinction,
of despair that turned on hope like a toxin
and hope that flared like the third man on a match
learning to brighten the stars
by deepening its darkness,
I have lived from eclipse to eclipse
like an unintelligible abyss who misses everyone
for the quality of breath and death and emptiness
that makes me me
when I want to be impossibly alone
and the memories have issues and agendas of their own
like a dead branch trying to witch for water at a window.

Where are you now?
Who were you?
Have I survived?
Whose ashes are these?
Now I am the tree. And you are the wind
and the pursuit of nothing flows on endlessly like life and water.

And all the lovely deserts that enhanced the moon
and coaxed me out of my old delirium
into a deeper one
by drinking the viper in the grail
they lifted to my lips like a gate
that everyone comes to like a stranger
prodigally returning to his own homelessness,
following the wind like a siren of sand
have slipped through my fingers like music,
though my voice still tastes of them
when I drink from their reflections,
not knowing whether I have become
a darkness in the light
or a light in the darkness
but grateful for the grander perspective
from the bottom of the well
where they showed me their stars at noon
and the sun at midnight
and how the fires that nourish love
cannot be put out like torches
in their own shadows
anymore than a bird can fall from its feathers.

PATRICK WHITE

No comments: