Sunday, December 2, 2012

BURIED UNDER AN AVALANCHE OF TONGUELESS BELLS


BURIED UNDER AN AVALANCHE OF TONGUELESS BELLS

Buried under an avalanche of tongueless bells,
I want to scream. I’m an oyster shell in the midden
of an archaeological dig. Who shucked my pearls?
Trying to weep my way into singing away the pain.
What happened to the Algonquin village that once stood here?
My skull’s an empty locket at the end of the foodchain.
I’ve given more than the less I had to give in the first place.
What do the takers know about sacrifice?
I’m not a strawdog with a deathmask for a face.
My emotions aren’t tinfoil. My tears aren’t wax.

I embroider my dreams in blood on a pillowcase
of razorblades. That way they’ll last like a dye
that holds fast against fading in the bleaching sunlight.
But my varnish is cracking along the agitated fault lines
of my nerves. My shining freaked with gaps
like the dry creekbed of a splintered mirror.
I’m trying to condition the split ends
of the uprooted lightning I transplanted into an urn
of fertilized starmud with enough death in it
to make anything grow. But all I’ve done is burn
my green thumb attempting to turn this desert
in an hourglass into the fertile crescent of the moon.

No exit out of this labyrinth of dead ends,
I’ve eaten the breadcrumbs all the way back
to where my homelessness began. Cartographic spiders
weaving the fibre optics of my situation like starmaps
for unwary flies in the corner. Still, nothing shines.
Whose sign is this? I follow a trophy line of black dwarfs
like a rosary of flies all the way to end of a dangling modifier
but still I can’t find Aldebaran or Arcturus. Am I blind?
Or is this just another black farce of the constellation
I’ve been beading out of burnt match heads,
hoping sooner or later they’ll break into light again
and show me a way out of here like the first magnitude dew
of a new morning on a habitable planet
in an unattainable starcluster far, far from here
the dawn is about to befriend with another attempt at life.

Fat chance of squeezing the Milky Way out of the tits
of seven lean kind. I’m trying to sword dance
with the hard times I’ve fallen upon flat-faced
to the sound of one hand clapping in an audience of echoes
to the slapstick antics of a buffoon tripping over himself
onto the ritual blade that guts his dignity
like a hungry poet hung on a hook in an abattoir,
bleeding out like a blood red star over a bathtub
as the elements of life and light eat themselves
out of house and home like a periodic table from the inside out.

I’ve been shining too much. I’m ferociously lucid.
I’m probably mad. I’m scalded by the cauldrons
of my own visions. My heart wandering like a shepherd moon
in a loose orbit around a demoted planet at the extremes
of the darkness that surrounds the solar system
with the black walnuts of rejected cornerstones
or pine cones that fell far from the dolorous roots
of the sappy evergreens weeping slow glaciers of bitter tears.

Where the bright vacancy of orchards in bloom?
Where the sweet windfalls of dark abundance?
Some child take me by the hand and lead me
like a blind prophet out of this forsaken promised land.

PATRICK WHITE

No comments: