Sunday, October 7, 2012

NO ONE IN THE WORLD


NO ONE IN THE WORLD

No one in the world knows me today;
there isn’t a mirror that could sink
the black sail of my face,
or a name that could follow me home like a threshold,
no sea at the end of the limp ribbon of my bloodstream,
no shore of an island heart to be washed up on
as the trees wait to announce their burning retractions
and the sky so blue, so blue, so blue,
such a perfect oblivion of blue
no mortar and pestle of the mouth
could grind a colour so fine,
and I hear the engines of the day
and the people of the day
but their business is not mine,
and the roads that can be patched,
that smoulder under a hot poultice,
a black bandage of asphalt
are not the roads I walk like a wound
with nothing to say to the delinquent streetlamps
wondering if winter will catch them in bud,
signing a guest-book of wet cement
in a braille of fingers and footprints.
One by one I have pulled the stars out of my skin
like the thorns of roses and serpents,
the stingers of the kamikaze honey bees
that die like lost swords
in a blaze of devotion, sugar and gold,
detangled their burrs of light from my hair,
and disarmed the toxic sickles
of the moon in Scorpio
that reaps fire with fire
by letting the harvest go to seed like ashes,
by letting the harvest rust,
by making martyrs of the scars and the scarecrows
by crowning them
with the bitter ivy and barbed wire
of distinct constellations that glowed
like an eyelid of nettles,
needles through the eyes of an evil doll
that drowned in a deluge of roosters and whiskey.
And it’s not that I’m giving up on my defeat
or looking for immunity, an antidote, sanctuary,
an ebullient insight into the way I feel
that grasps at clouds with too much certainty,
or even an honorable armistice
to lay down my weapons
like the shadows of the midnight sun at noon,
or trying to get high on hallucinogenic parachutes
that gill the sky with fish and mushrooms and terminal envelopes
that house the feathers of another dimension;
let me fall like a pillar of wine
in the ranks of this lonely holy war
I wage with the sand ghosts
of a thousand visionary shrines
like a heresy whose time has come,
like the empty-handed boat I am
whenever it starts to rain.
No one needs to know who sits on the throne
of the faceless coins I’ve issued
to shut my eyes like doors
on a fever of scissors cutting the strings
of fanatical puppets
stuffing the mailbox
with bouquets of crusading propaganda
that want to tar my household gods with wings.
There are things that go on in the world
so alone and unknown,
hidden harmonies, fountains, wells,
the eyes that the night drinks from like flowers
and gates of light so open
that even space and time leave their shoes
like the beginning of ignorance
to circle the clear flame once like unwitting pilgrims
and extinguish their gaping mirrors
like the torches of unfaithful lovers in the silence.

PATRICK WHITE

No comments: