Wednesday, October 10, 2012

NO MUSE AROUND, I SIT DOWN BY THE SIDE OF THE ROAD


NO MUSE AROUND, I SIT DOWN BY THE SIDE OF THE ROAD

No muse around, I sit down by the side of the road
and let my solitude inspire me, insights
flashing like unnameable night birds
across the occult intuition of the moon.
The dark matter of nocturnal words
like the nerves of the light, the hidden scaffolding
before the light begins to shine like neurons
or the superclustering of galaxies strung out
along my axons rooted in 120 billion cells of starmud.

The silence revels in its unpredictability.
Moonrise over the birches, great blue herons
reflected in the waters of the swamp,
and a parity among wild things that makes us all
equally susceptible to each other
as we charge the air and ionize the shadows
with our sentience, everybody with blood in the game.

No rules. Just instincts. Life neither fair, nor sly
when the snow owl snatches the purse of the mouse
that was trembling under the juniper
its cheeks full of seeds like the eyes
of another roll of the dice. Peaceful here,
remotely freaked with danger though I’ve outwalked
the ghosts and robots who were harrying me
like an uncooperative medium swarmed by voices
pleading with me for time shares in my life awhile.

The far town, diffuse, an apparition,
a haze of infra red above the tree-line,
as the road I’m on narrows deeper into the woods,
though I don’t know what it is
I’m walking away from or toward
or if one mile west is one mile east
or the earth is moving under me
and I’m just trying to keep my balance
by staying in the same place. Until
I get to the farmhouse where the road
loops back on itself like a needle or a noose
and I can feel it following me with its eyes
like shattered moonlight beaming
from the windows that still keep more inside
than they let on, something sacral about the place
with its sway-back roof and overgrown porch
playing solitaire with the floorboards
laid out like a well used deck of cards
curled at the corners as if someone
had cheated themselves, no one else around.
The gate’s a drunk swinging by one arm
as it falls and the vetch catches it in a safety net
it remains entangled in. The sutures
of a cedar rail fence trying to stitch up space
with staves of femurs stacked like skeletons
in the skin and flesh of lunar lichens and moss
fallen into disrepair long after the music has flown.

And there’s a presence, remote and almost menacing,
stronger than the spirit of any church,
as if something had gone on living here
well past its time, that wasn’t a ghost
though it had undoubtedly died by now
to judge from the year it stopped
nailing license plates like a rusting calendar
to the woodshed door. Alive, but so estranged
even the leaves shuddered like no trespassing signs
as I stood warily in my culpability as a human
who could feel the taboos in his blood
even if he didn’t always heed them, beware, beware
whose ground you tread, whose threshold you cross
in your rootless wandering back into the past
that isn’t going anywhere without you.

PATRICK WHITE

No comments: