Thursday, September 13, 2012

WANT TO BE BRILLIANT, WANT TO SHINE LIKE A BLACK STAR


WANT TO BE BRILLIANT, WANT TO SHINE LIKE A BLACK STAR

Want to be brilliant, want to shine like a black star.
Trying to bend space with my mind. Trying to stop time
with my heart. Counting moments like beads on a rosary
of skulls, or shepherd moons on an abacus of gravity.
Though I know they’re not all strung out like that.
Asteroids on a wavelength of light, or a spinal cord.
Or maybe I’m just trying to bead a guitar string
with a great black hole, or is it a lunar pearl,
in the center of a lyrical abyss? Workaday world
in a small town, who spends their time like this?
Not fortunate enough to have been born a carpenter,
I’m a mystically surrealistic, poetic astrophyicist
trying to come up with a new grammar for the stars
so all they have to do to express their shining,
is say, Metaphor, and as it is in the abyss, so it is everywhere.

Because I miss you like the main clause of my relativity.
The focal point of all my wavelengths. You’re the radiant
and I’m the Martian meteor shower that’s dying
to bring the gift of life to the Antarctic like the Leonids
did in the first place as I look at my face in the mirror
and think it’s time for a change of species. Sometimes
it’s crucial to sustain a few pathetic fallacies about yourself
so when you’re under the moonweather of an estranged planet
and a black star breaks through the clouds like the anti-matter
of a waterlily, so do you. Funny how the flowers close their eyes
because none of them wants to miss the eclipse.
One of them said we’re all looking through a glass darkly
but I don’t see any soot on their petals,
and none of the telescopes are wearing shades.

I like to keep things clear in the light of the void.
I’ve come along way from the coal mines of space
to shine through your diamond so you can feel
a different kind of translucency that’s eleven parts cheap thrill
in all the dimensions I can see you in, and one,
not even you, has discovered yet, that’s the orphan of an exile
singing to himself to people the dark in a desert of stars
like a gnostic gospel in the mouth of a cave
to keep the evil jinn and bad spirits away
from the watersheds of my wishing wells
where the angels gather to mingle with the demons like water
they’ve just turned into wine. As for the other eighty-nine
realms of seeing and being what you see, they’re shrines
I’ve devoted to you, swearing in blood and devotion
on the sidereal plinth of my sword, as I dedicate
all my prophetic skulls from the dark side of the moon
where the crows are wiser about lunar things than the doves,
to the enhancement of your radiance, your love and your art,
by deepening the dark, with a full heart, with things to harvest
that will make the abyss seem like a silo of stars you can break like bread.

PATRICK WHITE

No comments: