Thursday, August 2, 2012

SOMEONE'S CUT THE TONGUES OUT OF THE BELLS TONIGHT


SOMEONE’S CUT THE TONGUES OUT OF THE BELLS TONIGHT

Someone’s cut the tongues out of the bells tonight.
Even the silence isn’t singing to itself.
The windows are generously tolerant of intruders
but I’m locked into the splendour of my isolation
empathizing with things I don’t love.
Full moon. Fruit moon. Moon of berries and grain.

I thought I’d be happier at this time in my life,
but I’m threshing a harvest of shadows
for having sowed all my wild oats on the moon.
I’m intrigued by the fragrance of occult raptures on the air.
Dark intensities that can only end in immolation.
Black roses that only bloom in fire. Mystic disobedience
that lifts the flesh and blood taboos off
whatever comes to it naturally
as a late night 24-7 convenience store
or the fire that started in the kitchen of the Chinese restaurant
three doors down from my apartment yesterday.

Late night moods. The mind dogpaddling in its immensities.
Heritage town standing down from its fieldstones.
No drunks on the street, and all those angry voices
I didn’t recognize, gone home to sleep off their disappointment.
I sit like an air traffic comptroller mindwatching
behind these panes of glass as Arcturus goes down
over the tar paper rooftops I poetically associate
with clouds, stars, seagulls and hand-held mirrors of rain
after a thunderstorm has shattered its reflection in them
like a love affair that wasn’t going anywhere.
Doing time on earth, but of little consequence.
The bank across the street makes me feel depreciated.
Ask me this moment what legacy I’ve left
for the half century I’ve laboured creatively here
and I’d probably answer indignantly, a garage sale,
then reassure you by saying, for a good cause,
and mostly mean it, and partially wish I didn’t.

PATRICK WHITE

No comments: