Friday, August 10, 2012

MY FINGER ON THE TRIGGER


MY FINGER ON THE TRIGGER

My finger on the trigger of the crescent moon
I hold like a gun to my head,
or should I offer my throat to its blade,
unbind the flag of my blood from its pulley,
pull down the poppy
that exalts in the wind and the light
from this sad station of passing shadows
that mourns the death of the night like birds
in a burnt-out forest of blossoms and ashes?
I have the emotional life of a bell
rooted in rock like the columbines
that have mastered a silence I aspire to,
lamenting the metal in my blood
that rusts like the afterlife of iron,
defeated pollen no bee will gather, hive, or honey.
I am passionate dust,
not the powdered auburn
that stains the stamens on the stargazer lilies,
I bleed like a metal,
and I am leafless year round,
my seeing does not follow the sun like a heliotrope;
I am a bowl full of stars, a radio dish
listening for signs of life,
one word to startle the ancient hiss of creation
that keeps returning me to this moment
to cross swords with the clock,
even knowing how time will pierce my heart.
What folly to expect a horn to flower,
what madness to weed the stars
and expect a harvest
to fill the waiting silo of the railroad granary
that funnels nothing but air and echoes
into an abyss that lingers like a famine.
There are no more fortune-cookies in my kisses,
the constellations that once slid across my eyes
like an escalator approaching zenith
all look like punctuation marks without a text,
kells without an inaugural scripture
that isn’t a sigh of miscarried beginnings,
the desiccated afterbirth
of a pen with wings
that wasn’t strong enough
to crack its way out of the cosmic egg and sing, just sing
for the celestial fuck of it.
Caw. Chirp. Caw. Chirp. Caw.
Blank. Loaded. Blank. Loaded. Blank.
The hammer I was using
to build a palace of light and water,
to be able to nail my coffin shut with the truth,
coming down
on the anvil of the heart like the pulse
of a stagestruck bullet.

PATRICK WHITE

No comments: