Monday, August 6, 2012

ARE YOU TRYING TO CONVINCE ME


ARE YOU TRYING TO CONVINCE ME

Are you trying to convince me
that kindness does no good?
That no good deed will go unpunished,
that I should do a good deed and duck,
that trying to love and understand you as a friend,
give more than you dared to ask, have the power,
but not use it to reply to you in kind
when I pull the sacred syllable
like a pin out of my heart
and hold it tightly in my hand
like a white phos grenade I don’t dare let go of
because this starlight’s so blue and hot
it can burn right through your skin like the Pleiades?

You rage pre-emptively as if in everything
you were defending yourself vehemently
against some bootcamp of an injustice
your childhood went to to learn how
to stand up for yourself even when you’re in the wrong.
Do unto others before they do
what you imagine reflexively
they’re about to do unto you.
I get that. So many times I’ve blunted
the edge of the sword on the rock of the heart
I drew it from, bent its blade for the grave,
tempered it in a trough of hot tears
I shed like a dragon for what you
had suffered alone at the hands of those
who were supposed to love you
but always seemed to find a way
to bungle it in the second act
of a tragicomedy for angry tricksters.

So I’ve treated you like a dove
in maculate feathers for the last ten years
and stood down like a scarecrow
whenever you lured me away from my watch
to amend the commotion of a lapwing.
I’ve been a good friend to you in all things.
There when you called. Generous
when you needed, streetwise wolf doctor
when you asked for an oracle
to howl at the moon with you
in an agony of unanswered wounds.
And I know it’s hard to be proud
and grateful at the same time
as if needing someone’s help
as we all do, were conceding
to a weakness in the hill fort of your vulnerability.
So I’d put out the white flag
from my window first to make sure
you didn’t have to conceive of surrendering first.

Anyway when you walked in just now
fuming like a star mass
of inflammable hydrogen gas
I was feeling like a firefly
for the first time in a long time
remotely at home in the universe
as it went off in my face like the Big Bang.

One moment I’m on an endless firewalk
following the signs the stars left me
to catch up in my own good time
and the next I’m listening to an arsonist
make up alibis in her own interrogation room.

And I’m asking God, after you return me
like a splinter of my former radiance
that won’t wash out of my third eye
because it’s lodged like a nail in a jellyfish
candling like a parachute in its own tentacles,
to the relentless intensity of my abysmal solitude,
thinking hard, hot, flashy thoughts
that cut like the sabres of a meteor shower
through the ionically charged upper atmosphere
where my spiritual aspirations inflate
like weather balloons disguised as ufos
even as my demonic descents back to earth
are making a big impact on an extinct species.

God, I say, apostate, heretical, or demonic
I may be. Do ut abeas. But I didn’t ask you
anything back for this kindness I do left-handedly
not to ameliorate doing my time standing up
nor as an infernal sacrament on the altar of hell
that rebels like a lion lying down with the lamb,
but just to put a smile on the absurdity of it all
as if there were no harm in trying it your way occasionally
by stopping the war between
ceremony and the sanctimonious
long enough to remember we’re all
dying of one thing or another in the same lifeboat
floundering on this fathomless night sea
of shoreless awareness we’re all immersed
over our heads in like the tears of the unblessed.

PATRICK WHITE

No comments: