Sunday, July 22, 2012

I HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN


I HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN

I have not forgotten
the asters that bloomed in the wake of your smile,
the torn bridal veil
you were always shaking free of the spiders
that wanted to pin themselves like badges,
like mushroom crowns
to the polygonal thrones of your web;
or the way you would walk through doors,
swim through windows
as if my life were your own personal dream
and I was the only horse on the moon
that had ever survived your thorns,
nor the way your fingers could turn into
the horns of a garden snail
or the green tendrils of imperial strawberries
that slowly colonized my skin
with small mystical villages
on the slopes of volcanic dragons,
and how you were always quicker than pyramids
to extinguish the fire
with emergency kisses
that turned the ambulance into
a newspaper tossed on the doorstep
announcing the terms of the armistice,
the swaddled folds
of a nursing iris in bud,
or the cross you swore was a bridge
between a coffin and a cocoon.

Did you ever finish painting your wings,
or that likeness of death
you said was a portrait of me?
Drifting for years
in the stone lifeboat you left me
like an island of my own
where I was the king of shadows,
the disconsolate wizard
of my own ruined magic,
and my heart was a cauldron of skulls,
I often thought of you
to keep myself from believing in love again;
the blow, the money, the music,
the secret sauce
of the Malaysian black current cheesecake
sliced into portions of the moon
robed in the folds of a regal eclipse,
of how you made everyone feel
they were better for you than me,
crazed by the panties you threw everywhere
like the fragrance of a smouldering rose
to prove you were hot and a rockstar,
and then grab me like a mike stand
and give me head in a song no one else could hear,
as if I were a hit long before you were born
and evolution hired a publicist.

I always thought you were a dangerous child,
a bouquet of fireflies
you were trying to give
to the ghost of a death that hadn’t happened yet,
a bee of blood that drowned
in the angry chalice of a broken mirror
that lied to your face about flowers.

I had to throw my heart out
like a corpse at sea to love you,
and lean back and watch as if I didn’t care
as one by one the stars o.d.’d like candles
in the black hole
that was swallowing you
like a snake with its tail in its mouth,
the eternal recurrence
of your father with you in bed.

And now it’s twenty years later
and life is a crosswalk in a dream
where we pass each other like bells on parole
from the spires that plunge through the past
like daggers through the eyes and the skies
of our isolation cells,
and it’s law not love
to go for a drink
to compare the opulence of our solitudes
like trees shedding their leaves to the bone,
and you undo your hair
like ribbons of fire at the foot of my grave
because you remember while I lived
I liked it long,
and reach across the table like wine
and take my hand in yours,
the other half of a split wishbone
that didn’t come true,
the head of a dead swan,
the last bugle of a dying civilization,
and quote from memory
a poem I wrote for you
chained by lightning
to a sacrificial rock in an old abyss
catastrophes ago
to make sure
the moon always had eyelids
when it stared into the lights
that obliterated all my faces
in the dark blaze of planets on tour with the dawn.

And I was moved like blue grasslands
as I always used to be
to witness the eerie beauty of your tears as you spoke,
sweeping out of the open window
of your abandoned heart
like curtains of rain you stood behind
to see if the wind would bring you roses again.

PATRICK WHITE

No comments: