Saturday, May 12, 2012

MEANDERING AFTER THE LONG THAW


MEANDERING AFTER THE LONG THAW

Meandering after the long thaw
through whatever landscape my mind
creates in its flowing, karmically disposed
or not, I unscroll like emotional water
playing with the quick otters of my thought
and no meridians or parallels on the loom
that snares the stars in birdnets,
and no horizons, no ports
of arrival and departure,
no hellish red of emergency exits
out of the darkened theatre,
I revel spontaneously in the freedom
of not having a clue about where I am going,
and go off in all directions at once
like the moon on the waves
like light through the homeless abode
of the only place I’ve ever stopped like space
to admire the road without beginning or end
that leads everywhere and nowhere at once.

Thought-years away from my last death
and the nebulous rain of the sidereal breath
I took once and held forever,
waiting to grace my stars with flowers
when words don’t interrupt the silence like pyramids
and the desert is free to speak for itself
to itself about the flower
that flows like an eye through its depths.

One eye, being; the other, non-being,
and a third that is beyond both,
I don’t know what it is I’m looking into,
but I keep rising and falling
like a wave of my own seeing
casting shadows on the water
like the voices of the things I write,
the new moon like a dark coin
under the tongue of everything in the light,
and the valley voices and the mountain voices
and what they say to each other in the night
when they draw near to a fire
no one else is awake to overhear.

I may be a bull in the labyrinth of my own fingerprints
unspooling my blood along the way
so that someone else can find their way out,
an evangelist on the moon with my head in my hands
telling the stars not to fret
if they’ve forgotten the last prophecy
because eventually even the lies will come true.

My wild ass compassion wants to break the jaws of circumstance
that eat so many like thorns of the moon in the desert
when the cactus blooms and the viper strikes like a flower,
but I don’t send my emotions out to judge events
like hysterical lipstick smeared across the mirror
or let my thoughts stir the mud in the puddle
to make things clear to the clouds.
One meaning for the whole of immeasurable life
is facepaint on a clown that’s seldom funny
or a spiritual ideologue whose only expression of grace
is a frown like a knot in the wind
that dances all around him, abusively free.
But the life of meaning doesn’t need
a seeker or a teacher flipping pages like a weathervane
for the stones and elixirs and grails of life,
as if you had to struggle to attain what you already are.
The star in your eye. The tree in your spine.
The bird in your voice. The moon in your heart.
The wind in your lungs. The light in your mind.
The sea in your blood. The earth in your flesh.
It’s not hard to know who you are
when you’re breathing alone in the darkness
that sheds you like the oceans of the moon
and the manes of the lunar lions come undone
like white peonies on the flowing of the nightstream.

However you look at it, your nose
is the hypotenuse of a right-angled threshold,
your own personal event horizon
that’s crossed with every breath you take
and your skin is a contract with the world
that begins at the tip of your nose
like an available dimension of forms and events,
experience after experience
that keeps on happening all the way back to you
like the singularity at the bottom of a black hole.

But what’s the point of looking for yourself
like a black sail on a night sea
or erecting a monolithic I like an oil derrick
or a misguided lighthouse
to drill for light
when you’re already swimming through it
and the world is arrayed clearly everywhere like eyes?

Everything you see; everything you can be
is the expression of everything else.
A star gives birth to your eyes and water
organizes you like a neighbourhood
and a genius of mud lays a scarlet cloak
of flesh and blood across your shoulders
strong enough to uphold the earth like a head
and space readies itself like a sensitive room
where you can stay up late to watch your eyelids bloom
like waterlilies coaxed out of hiding by the full moon.

PATRICK WHITE

No comments: