Friday, February 3, 2012

IF ALMOST ANY LEAF WILL DO


IF ALMOST ANY LEAF WILL DO

If almost any leaf will do to prove
the autumn is a flying carpet, then why should you doubt
my heart is a chainsaw buried on the moon with honours
after the last tree was felled, or the sun is the ultimate dumpster
for raving comets in decaying orbits
that want to thaw and cry and unspool the radical rivers
locked in straitjackets and handcuffs of ice, at least once
before they’re extinquished on the windowsills
of voyeuristic telescopes, wear
gardenias in the cold fire of the long hair they rinse in the light
after dyeing their carbon tresses blue? You ask
what ails me, why I won’t publish the silence
I keep revising like the first draft of a broken windowpane,
why I keep trying to root the lightning
in the cloud bed of a quick northern garden
like orchids in a storm, and I have nothing to say but skulls
that fall like apricots and exemplary moons
whose eyes were excavated by the crows
as a warning to anyone who wants to approach your throne like rain.
And it’s not the falling, it’s not the ashes and the mangled weathervanes,
the impact craters, and the trembling omens,
the salted soil and the astringencies of bitter wells
that taste of ancient snakes
that have installed me like a wary camera
in the bedlam of this mood, it’s not the people who arrive,
wave after wave like oilspills and messages in a bottle
written in blood that shrieks when you let them out
like birds from a furnace, it’s not
the endless misspelt preludes to suicide
that keep coming up like dawn
over the sleepless cities in the all-night restaurants
or the blank cheques of the children cancelled
by the dirty needles of the toe-tagged bloodbank,
those are shales of sorrow that have long lain heavy
on the fossil of my heart like crushed bells, those
are the startled eyes of roadkill
along the highways of the spring
when the perennial ambulance blooms like a white lily,
the suffering almost seasonal; but it’s not that,
I can handle that, they’re old sirens fused to harbour rocks
like foghorns that lost their voices years ago
and though I concede I’ll never be enough of a lifeboat
to rescue all the sharks from the people in the water,
and do what I can with what’s left of my buoyancy,
my devastation rarely turns dysfunctional,
and I can handle that for the sake of those who might need me;
but when you ask a poet what’s wrong like a yellow journalist
or the Red Cross in Auschwitz,
or the bleached nurse that books the car accidents into emergency,
the blossom disables the fruit, and what can anyone say
as the gray ashes of the crematoria fumaroles
appall the human orchards with baby-faced insecticides?

PATRICK WHITE

No comments: