Friday, June 15, 2007

ALYSIA, LOST CONTINENT, MU, ISLAND IN THE CLOUDS

one grain of light among a hundred million

on the leg of a sticky starfish washed up in space,

but more radiant for the knowing, going up

to the forbidden roof in the night, coffee and smoke

and the cold, red, folding metal chair that’s more apple-from-the-fridge

than a firetruck, too leggy to be a hydrant, probably

a modernistic Celtic kell of blood to start a love-letter:

Dear Alysia: I’m sitting here alone in the moist dark

above the surf of the trees, and one, a willow,

more entrancing than the others, pouring herself into me,

as if I were worthy of the river she makes of my heart and my eyes

to receive her, the cool, green comet, the portentous late night visitor

that fell from the sky in a frenzy of paint and poetry, and came to rest,

and rooted in the earth, and breathes beside me now, a waterclock,

climbing back up through herself like a bloodstream to do it again,

as the moon goes over her falls, I want to drown in,

and be discovered in the effulgence of the morning tide

a tongue in the bell of waters of the weeping bride

that sings softly behind the net of the wavelengths

she’s swaying into veils, soft whips, a necklace of silver chromosomes,

and the travel-logue of tears that went looking for a northwest passage

like a thread through the eye of a needle I want to drown in,

go down in for the last time like Atlantis

and see my whole life flashing before me as if

it were nothing more than the first, heady draft

of an enlightened prelude I’ve been writing for years to her.

And I know that life is a river with only one bank

and I’m not even standing on that,

but I make a bird of my hands

that looks ominously like a prayer

and tie a little ribbon of blood to one of its legs

and send it out among the constellations anchored offshore,

the final s.o.s. of a sinking civilization

reduced to a message in a bottle, ink in the rain,

the burning cross floating down the stream of the Milky Way,

along the Road of Ghosts, the crucial, long-necked stars of Cygnus, the Swan,

wings outspread on the apex of the summer triangle

brilliant with eagles and lyres in the widening compass of its wake,

and watch as it disappears like a penny in a well,

a splinter of hope, two feathers in the eye of a lifeboat

into the deadly nightshade of the vast, indigo vacancy that contains her.

A lifetime writing poetry, two, three, eons of lives and lightyears

holding the oceanic shell of the cosmos up to my ear

to hear the bloodroar breaking on the shores of a distant heart,

and know I’m alone on an orbiting island in the void

that wants to turn everything into an archives, museum, cemetery, ark

where the animals are all dead, and there’s nothing to eat

but this luminous spread of unsweetened stars on a piece of hard black bread,

how many times, wandering the aimless expanses of my desolation

have I picked my heart up at my feet like the gutted carapace of another dawn,

the severed remains of a dismembered telescope, the mirror, a ruin of salt,

the cannibalized skull of a brutal crustaceon with irises for pincers,

and felt my humanity, this small boy’s notion of doing something

wonderful and good that might appease the crazed furies in the nightsqualls,

and answer this season of being a tiny, brief moment in a waterfall

with a mind that can hold the stone of the world like a coin under its tongue,

how many times, how many tears that have died like rivers in a desert,

have I felt this jest of me torn out underwater like tiny clouds of soggy crabmeat

by indifferent predators whose only mineral mandate was to eat and replicate,

this feast of life that sat me at the table like a king above the salt,

now, below, in a darker time, this gesture of paupers and clowns

squabbling over the leftover morsels of a wax crown on a cracked plate?

I’m only the whisper of a microchip away,

an electronic dragonfly fanning

the soft cilia, the tiny feather dusters of your skin

with the scintillant circuitry, the nacreous filigree

of filaments and wicks, stray threads,

arteries, deltas, rivers, maps and lifelines

that I’ve palmed into the wings on the breath

of the black translucency brooched like a ghost

to the fall of your hair behind you, butterfly feelers

and the gentle wands and batons of the ants on their sugar path,

and the witching sticks, the lightning rods, the stamens and the white canes,

and the dove quills of the goose barnacle in its brittle inkwell

when it feels it’s safe at the cue of the moon

to open up and pour its tiny heart out

like a thimble, a goblet, a grail of the sea

that is its infinite portion of eternity into

the undulant shadows and shafts of pierced lunations

that seek you out like the fire-wishs of the sexual eels that come

in wavelengths of inspiration, the banner and pulse of the serpent tongue

that seizes and shocks and caresses the brothels and the nunneries of your blood

into the mysterious opalescence of the pilgrim chandeliers and drifting jellyfish

that rinse their hair out like waterfalls in the willows of in your poems.

We do talk about being clear, about disobedience, trouble, and paint,

and what goes on in the parking lots of the late night pharmacies

lit up like electric lotuses in the flesh of the asphalt saints,

and I suspect you’re a sphinx in a robe of hierogylphic scars

carved by the rain ten thousand years ago when the desert

was an abacus and journal of grass, not an hourglass of sand,

and you’re probably braver than a junkie’s t.v., and when,

since I’ve opened up like an observatory

with a reflecting telescope on a clockdriven equatorial mount

to track the small planet in transit

across the black cherry of your pupil like a snail or a tear

haloed in the copper moondog of your iris

bordered by the damp carbons of your eyelashes

that stand like burnt trees along the salt shores

of the negative white of the time-exposed picture of the night sky

you’ve posted on your website like an eye through a keyhole,

have I ever thought you were not beautiful and dangerous?

You’re one of Bailey’s beads gleaming through the valleys

of the mountains in a full eclipse of the moon

being swallowed by the dragon that brings the rain

like the embryonic whisper of the black songbird in the cosmic glain.

That’s how lizards learned to cry, and the raptors

yearned long enough for herons, as I do for you

across seventy-five million years of poetic nightshales

laced with fossils, preening my cold-blooded keyboard of scales

into feathers of fire hurled like a choir of kamikazes into a maze of light.

It’s not hard from here to give you breasts and hips and cheeks and lips

and transfuse passionate poppies and volcanic plasma

from the chrome coatrack of the saline drip on your dreamside

into the vagrant bloodstream of a gazelle and a panther

lying down together in the form of a woman with Africa between her legs.

And I can feel your hands, too, slowly turning and shaping space on your wheel,

trying to decide whether I’m a vase or an urn, a wine goblet or an ashtray

you made at summer camp from a brain-sized lump of leftover clay;

or something you’re going to cook in the kiln of your agitated hive

after an audience with the queen in the catacombs of her hexagonal honey,

or a new Adam come in the red ochre of a warning dawn with extra ribs,

all puns, taboos, blessings, curses, alpha-chimps, cosmic apes, anacondas

and apostate madonnas that go by the name of Eve or Lilith

gathering under the laden boughs of the one forbidden thing,

the small, ripe, pleading planet cratered by their teeth

into an astronomical impact of ontological proportions, intended.

No sleep last night, my mind the lead half-life of distempered uranium,

until the birds began tuning up like the fan-belt of a dying alternator,

the sky a bleached lapis luzuli freaked with fusions of white gold

I managed to pan from the starstream of a little poetic alchemy,

with your heart standing in as the understudy of the black rose no one’s ever seen

and this morning, after walking out to greet you like the sun

three hours later in British Columbia, sine occasu,

among rappers and poets, ex-hookers and grocery clerks

who are sometimes truly my friends without trying too hard,

so that I am ambidextrously alone trying to juggle Venus and Mars

and dropping asteroids all over the studio floor like nuggets of mean kryptonite

this ghetto of insistent superheroes picks up and throws back at me

like deluded sparrows and sinless stones

through my magadelenic, stained-glass window

where the swan’s on the water like an ocean-liner and an ice-berg

trying to airlift all my panicked passengers from the deck with dragonflies,

I managed to find enough exits to advance this entrance to you.

And I don’t know if I should be afraid of myself or you

or the visionary cult of the computer, or if

this grammar of wizards is just me speaking in tongues again

to the orchids blooming in the shadows of the tower of Babel

holding out the hanging gardens of Babylon to you as a polygot bouquet of time

to express the oxymoronic turmoil of my lust and my love and affection,

as I try to winnow the tares from the wheat without waking the poppies

that are walking me through this dream of you as a beautiful crime

I keep committing over and over again on this poetic hotline

in a rush of cool bliss that would give even a dead Buddha reason to rise,

but, lady, there it is. I want to be the black mandala in the shrine of your eyes,

the ghost-fire in the spirit’s lost and found, the wounded, white stag

healing softly among the haunted herbs

and lavish silence of the mystic verbs

in your sacred burial ground.

PATRICK WHITE

No comments: